Welcome to Phylogeny Explorer Project

Welcome to Phylogeny Explorer Project, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Phylogeny Explorer Project by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

BanjerDan

Biota - Homo sapiens thread?

Question

I'd like to be able to follow the cladogram basically as presented in "The Systematic Classification of Life," and I think that would be of interest to other lay people as well. Is there a list of every clade we could use, or a cladogram with that "route" highlighted?

2 answers to this question

Hi BangerDan.

Please feel free to join our Facebook group if you haven’t already.

Yes, AronRa has produced an excellent set of videos on the systematic classification of life along our clade line. He is also the creator of the Phylogeny Explorer Project, which aims to be the most comprehensive system, mapping the evolution of life, visually.

In the Linnaean rank system (remember the DKPCOFGS), these are attempts at comparing ranks across groups – like mammals and amphibians, without regard for timeframe comparison and as though all were created at the same time. Whilst some equate to clades, the nested hierarchy (clades) of life are the true, natural order of things.

The clades we tend to use and focus on, whilst naturally occurring, are man-made representative junctions to show key or notable divergences. So, whilst the point at which a notochord is first recorded is significant (for us) in ordering or explaining things, it is (in nature) of no more or less significance than any new species or divergence.

Whilst having more clades than the following, (there are well over 100) the Phylogeny Explorer Project is however still in pre-production. Alternatives and recommendations in the meantime are:

Open Tree of life:

https://tree.opentreeoflife.org/opentree/argus/opentree12.3@ott93302

Timetree:

http://www.timetree.org/

Onezoom:

https://www.onezoom.org/

Thank you for those links. "The Systematic Classification of Life" is my favorite youtube presentation I've seen so far. I've watched the entire series several times. As I was following the series through the PEP for the first time the other day, I got lost between Vertebrata and Gnathostomata, and fired off that inquiry. I appreciate your reply..

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines